Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Sforza Don Sforza is offline

Default Driveway Made Of Wood?

Growing up in CT, we lived in a house that my Grandfather had bought for his
family in the early 20's. Although he never drove, and my father didn't own
a car until 1953, we had a wide driveway/pathway... about 12 feet wide and
50-60 feet long... leading to the caning shed. It was made of endgrain
treated timbers about 4" thick and about the size of a standard brick.
Considering my Grandfather's immigrant roots, I'm sure they were "free", and
probably throwaways from the machine foundry where he worked. When we left
the house in 1959 they were still there... in fact, they were still there in
1985 when I last visited the house.
Tough stuff, huh?
"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack