Posted to rec.woodworking
John John is offline

Default Driveway Made Of Wood?

In New York State there were numerous "plank roads" in the 1800's. They
acquired a reputation for uncommon slipperiness, and thus danger to
horses and cargo. The wood used was whatever was at hand and in abundant
supply. Frequently, as in the Catskills, this would have been Canadian
Hemlock. To this day, hiking trails there and elsewhere occasionally
have small wooden bridges (just big enough for a person) thrown across
small streams and with a light coat of green algae/slime/whatever are
indeed slippery as all heck. After they were torn up, remnants of said
"plank roads" are said to have survived well into the 20th century in
piles that moldered in obscure nooks of the countryside. I do not recall
having heard whether the planks were treated in any way.

If your goal is just to see how long untreated wood will last before
rotting, build yourself a back porch! :-) If made from untreated wood
you will go through several during your lifetime.

J.

Jack wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of anyone creating a driveway made of wood?

For arguments sake, let's say we want try this as an experiment and
we'll be using oak from trees we'll be cutting ourselves. As an
experiment we want to see how long the wood lasts without treating, so
we'll cut the wood and let it dry to what moisture content? What
"ideal" type of wood would you use?

Would (pun inteneded) it be wise to have large planks or small pieces,
such as pavers? There will be expansion/contraction. Can this be
calculated before the wood would be laid?

I know there is going to be at least one person on the planet who will
want to post something negative about this, so, for that person: please
post your reply straight to yourself and not here. Thanks.

Jack