Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Dave Baker Dave Baker is offline

Default What is it? Set 134

"R.H." wrote in message
Just posted an image of the carpet stretcher from an old Sears catalog

where
it sold for 37 cents:

http://pzphotosan134-5.blogspot.com/

Inherited from my mother via my grandparents I have a similar but simpler
carpet stretcher. It's about 1 foot long and consists of almost identical
metal teeth like yours at one end and a turned wooden handle comprising a 1
inch diameter shaft and a round circular pad about 4 inches in diameter at
the end. You dig the teeth into the carpet, push it taught and then hold the
tension with your knee against the pad while you nail the carpet down. I
clearly recall asking mum what this strange thing was when I was a kid.

Yours is designed to be used by digging the teeth into the carpet then using
the hooked lever against the edge of the floorboards to pull the carpet
tight then finally you press the spike through the carpet and into the
floorboards to hold everything. Basically a hands (or knees) free version of
the simpler one I own. Frankly I'm not sure if so many holes in a fine
carpet would be a good idea. Of course yours requires floorboards under the
carpet to take the spike and mine can be used even if the carpets are over a
stone or concrete floor.

I've no idea where it is at present but if it ever turns up again I'll post
a photo to you. It's entirely possible my grandfather bought it to help him
fit the carpets in the house he built when he married my grandmother in the
early part of last century.

I'm slightly annoyed that having such a similar object with the same teeth I
still didn't twig what your device was until the solution was posted.
--
Dave Baker
www.pumaracing.co.uk