Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Riddle me this hangers of doors

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Eigenvector wrote:
This doesn't compute.

I'm trying to put a door sweep on my door that goes to the garage and the
crack between it and the floor is not uniform. It appears when the the
door
is closed that the gap is about 1/2" by the hinges and about 1/4" by the
door knob. So I toss a level on the floor and see that it is indeed
level.
So I put a level on the top of the door, and it is level. If the door,
the
floor are both level then why is the crack wider on one end?

The gap is at the bottom of the door. Why did you put a level on the
head of the door?

It's possible that the door was trimmed at some point due to seasonal
binding or whatever. If the floor covering is newer than the door,
maybe they leveled the floor at that time.

No, the door is new and was not trimmed. The floor was not modified so far
as I can tell at least.

I can see the door being out of true, but if the floor under the door is
level and the door itself is level (at least at the top), why wouldn't the
crack under the door be even? I can't see how level the door is on the
bottom, there simply isn't sufficient space for something like that.

It's not like I'm killing myself here, but something doesn't add up. If the
frame is out of true, entirely possible, it still wouldn't matter, the door
is still level - at least on three sides.