Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Karl B Karl B is offline

Default finsih confusion

" wrote in
ps.com:

Troy wrote:
I'm very confused by finish.
I use the shellawax friction polish system along with EEE.
I'm hearing that I should using sanding sealer inbetween coats after
the 600 grit stage to help things out.
I see many kinds of sanding sealer on the market...
BLO
Deft
Minwax
Mylands
but nobody seems to know for sure which one and why. The minwax
takes 2 hours to dry it says. BLO says wipe on and then wipe off
excess. I'd really appreciate some structure on this. Ideally I'd
like a mirror finish on my pens, but want the 'feel' of wood too. So
i've been steering away from CA/BLO as a finish.

Troy

For that nice polished finish your talking about I do two completely
different types of finish. Sometimes I use the eee and shellawax, are
you using the cream or liquid? You should use the liquid.
The other one I like better for durability is blo and then turners
polish. I found the turners polish alone, and the eee and shellawax
don't last long. I will say I stop just short of abuse of my pens. The
other thing I do is beall buff them.

Well, to add to the conversation and perhaps the confusion, I use a
homemade polish consisting of equal parts shellac, denatured alchol and
BLO. Shake well before using, then apply several coats with lathe
turning at high speed. This is similar to a french polish and or
shellwax. I like it for the feel and ease of use. It seems to standup to
the daily use of everyday pens.