Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] empress2454@wowway.com is offline

Default ceiling fans, a/c, what's right for me?

portable A/C would be graea, but all the ones I have seen would be out
of your price range. as an option, how about creating some sort of
baffle to let air in, and keep light out, maybe something to fit over
your windows that drops to the floor and is painted black on the
inside, with a sharp cut up at the bottom.

Empresser #124457

The best Games

First up, the facts, which will probably give you a good idea about my
cooling problem:

I do shift work, so I've had to black out my windows with black
plastic. Not the thin stuff used for trash cans, this stuff is a bit
thicker. Behind this, the blinds are pulled down. You're probably
thinking this is the cause for my cooling problem, but at most, there's
a 3c temperature difference, and I've been just as uncomfortable during
summers when I haven't had this setup. For some reason, I also don't
sweat, no matter how hot it gets (mostly 25-30c days, with a few
getting to 40). I've tried a swamp cooler, but I can't feel anything
from it unless I'm an inch from it - that suggests to me that it's
either very humid or very dry in here. Having windows/external doors
aren't great options for 2 reasons - it would have to be while I'm
sleeping, so I'd be screwed when it comes to insurance, and because I'm
pulling night shifts, noise when I'm going about my business could be a
problem for the neighborhood. Anyway, my floor plan

(combined kitchen and lounge, the bedroom is about the same size as the
lounge section - in front of the sofa - the windows I'm talking about
are about 2x3m in both the lounge and kitchen, at the "top" part of the
diagram):

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/37/ceilingfan2cx8.gif

For this section, I only really need cooling where I'm working, in the
upper-right corner, but as you can see, having such a huge surrounding
space causes problems. Unfortunately, portable a/c might not be an
option, as a) I need 24/7 cooling, and b) the exhausts for those are
set up for open windows - and to make thinks worse, I have horizontal
sliding ones.

About $US300 is my budget, which could cause problems if I'd need
in-wall a/c for the lounge and bedroom. I've heard different things
from different people about ceiling fans - they work great no matter
what, and they're useless unless you have fresh air coming in. I'm not
too sure about the latter, as pederstal fans provide *some* relief
without fresh air. Ceiling fans would be great if they worked, as
they're pretty cheap (from $US30 for a 40"), and I could easily have a
few installed if needs be. However, there's one catch - if one with
longer than a 1 foot drop is mounted further ahead than the sofa, it's
going to cast a shadow with my projector. I could sure live with it
for summer, but having to deal with it for the rest of the 3 seasons
would be a pain... ideally I could mount one over my workspace, which
wouldn't intefere.

I've got some pretty high hopes, haven't I? Nevertheless, there has to
be a solution somewhere, if anyone can advise me, I'd really appreciate
it.