Posted to rec.woodworking
John Siegel John Siegel is offline

Default Why a hanger bolt on corner braces, rather than screws?

dpb wrote:
Toller wrote:

I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Well, if it's well built, it may be around longer than you and somebody
else might want to move it even if you don't...

It's the prime reason but the other note that there's some take up
provided for long term is another good reason to do it.

Like most practices that have evolved over time, there's a reason for
it and it's usually best to follow common practice unless one knows of
or has a specific reason to deviate.

Why would hanger bolts make it any easier to remove the legs for moving
the table?
Tables that I have seen still have the aprons mortised into the legs;
all the hanger bolt does is fasten the corner brace to reinforce the
joint.