Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why a hanger bolt on corner braces, rather than screws?

I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28/09/2006 2:24 PM, Toller wrote:
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Easier to adjust for seasonal expansion and contraction?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with
metal corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be
taking it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

A table is subject to racking forces and screws simply would not be large
enough to hold the leg secure to the apron.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Toller wrote:
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Well, if it's well built, it may be around longer than you and somebody
else might want to move it even if you don't...

It's the prime reason but the other note that there's some take up
provided for long term is another good reason to do it.

Like most practices that have evolved over time, there's a reason for
it and it's usually best to follow common practice unless one knows of
or has a specific reason to deviate.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Hanger bolts *are* big fat wood screws, but with machine threads on the
exposed end, so you can secure the corner brace with a big fat washer
and nut instead of having to dog a screw head all the way down. They're
just easier to deal with. As far as *never (hopefully)* having to take
it apart: If it turns out you *do* have to take it apart, hanger bolts
make it trivial.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when
it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects,
and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the
wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little
wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just
tighten the nut some more.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

That argument misses. A hanger bolt is nothing more than a lag screw with
removable head (nut). Try again.
"redbelly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when
it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects,
and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the
wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little
wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just
tighten the nut some more.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote:

"redbelly" wrote in message
roups.com...
Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when
it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects,
and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the
wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little
wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just
tighten the nut some more.

Mark

That argument misses. A hanger bolt is nothing more than a lag screw with
removable head (nut). Try again.

Tightening the nut is much easier than moving the head on a lag
screwg. Much easier to make fine adjustments on a machine thread
than on a coarse lag screw thread.
Posted to rec.woodworking
DLB DLB is offline

If you use screws the screw holes will wear each time you remove the
screw (albeit rarely), whereas the hanger bolt stays in the leg.

Dave.

CW wrote:
That argument misses. A hanger bolt is nothing more than a lag screw with
removable head (nut). Try again.
"redbelly" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when
it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects,
and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the
wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little
wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just
tighten the nut some more.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Very true but this has nothing to do with my response to redbelly.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" writes:
"alexy" wrote in message
.. .
Tightening the nut is much easier than moving the head on a lag
screwg. Much easier to make fine adjustments on a machine thread
than on a coarse lag screw thread.
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.

Very true but this has nothing to do with my response to redbelly.

So, instead of belittling what the OP had said, why didn't you
offer an alternative explanation rather than the rather trite
"try again"?

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
That argument misses. A hanger bolt is nothing more than a lag screw with
removable head (nut). Try again.

You're right. My bad.

Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
Toller wrote:

I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Well, if it's well built, it may be around longer than you and somebody
else might want to move it even if you don't...

It's the prime reason but the other note that there's some take up
provided for long term is another good reason to do it.

Like most practices that have evolved over time, there's a reason for
it and it's usually best to follow common practice unless one knows of
or has a specific reason to deviate.

Why would hanger bolts make it any easier to remove the legs for moving
the table?
Tables that I have seen still have the aprons mortised into the legs;
all the hanger bolt does is fasten the corner brace to reinforce the
joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Siegel wrote:

Why would hanger bolts make it any easier to remove the legs for moving
the table?
Tables that I have seen still have the aprons mortised into the legs;
all the hanger bolt does is fasten the corner brace to reinforce the joint.

I've never seen the aprons mortised into the legs when corner braces are
used. The corner braces hold the legs against the butt ends of the
apron under tension.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA