Posted to rec.woodworking
redbelly redbelly is offline

Default Why a hanger bolt on corner braces, rather than screws?

Toller wrote:
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal
corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking
it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when
it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects,
and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the
wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little
wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just
tighten the nut some more.

Mark