Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dingbat@codesmiths.com is offline

Default Ebonizing wood

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try to
ebonize. How is this done?

Several ways:

Pigment stain - fine dirt in a carrier solution.

Dye stain - dissolved colour in solution.

Chemical stain - something that changes the colour of the existing
timber's chemistry.

Usually the third is hard to control the colour of, but gives the best
results. If what you want is "black, just black" rather than "a
slightly teal-flavoured tincture of taupe" then it's a good choice.
Otherwise go with a commercial dye stain.

Pigment stains make an obscuring surface layer. Tends to wear badly and
hides the grain too.

If the timber has tannins in it, the chemical stain has a good, easy
and long-established solution. Works fine on walnut, I'm not familiar
with african pear. Web search for "vinegar + wire wool + tannin"
ebonising stain.