Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ebonizing wood

I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try to
ebonize. How is this done? Is it simply a dye, or are there other
processes/methods? Does it depend upon the species of wood? (the two I'm
looking at right now are some pieces of particularly hard and tight grained
walnut, and some African pear).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:

I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try to
ebonize. How is this done?

Several ways:

Pigment stain - fine dirt in a carrier solution.

Dye stain - dissolved colour in solution.

Chemical stain - something that changes the colour of the existing
timber's chemistry.

Usually the third is hard to control the colour of, but gives the best
results. If what you want is "black, just black" rather than "a
slightly teal-flavoured tincture of taupe" then it's a good choice.
Otherwise go with a commercial dye stain.

Pigment stains make an obscuring surface layer. Tends to wear badly and
hides the grain too.

If the timber has tannins in it, the chemical stain has a good, easy
and long-established solution. Works fine on walnut, I'm not familiar
with african pear. Web search for "vinegar + wire wool + tannin"
ebonising stain.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try to
ebonize. How is this done? Is it simply a dye, or are there other
processes/methods? Does it depend upon the species of wood? (the two I'm
looking at right now are some pieces of particularly hard and tight
grained
walnut, and some African pear).

Krylon black (gloss or semi) spray paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try to
ebonize. How is this done? Is it simply a dye, or are there other
processes/methods? Does it depend upon the species of wood? (the two I'm
looking at right now are some pieces of particularly hard and tight grained
walnut, and some African pear).

India Ink if you don't mind a purplish tint.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:43:57 GMT, "CW" wrote:

India ink fades. Tried it.
"Nova" wrote in message
Smaug Ichorfang wrote:
I have several species of hard, close-grained wood I would like to try

ebonize. How is this done? Is it simply a dye, or are there other
processes/methods? Does it depend upon the species of wood? (the two

I'm
looking at right now are some pieces of particularly hard and tight

grained
walnut, and some African pear).

India Ink if you don't mind a purplish tint.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I keep a jar of white vinegar with steel wool in it. Paint it on wood
containing tannic acid and viola. Black wood in a short time.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Modat22 wrote:
snip
I keep a jar of white vinegar with steel wool in it. Paint it on wood
containing tannic acid and viola. Black wood in a short time.

I recommend a couple of coats to get a real strong black. Make sure the
jar is NOT air tight, a gas (probably toxic) is produced ever so slowly
and needs to escape.
Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:

India ink fades. Tried it.

India ink doesn't fade (it's lamp black!) - however much of it these
days isn't real India ink and they'd obviously used a fugitive modern
dye instead of the genuine pigment.

India ink also contains shellac, which tends to limit penetration. You
can get a much more hard wearing surface if you use something that
soaks in further.

PS - iron and vinegar does outgass. It's not toxic, but it will burst a
glass jar. Knock a few nail holes in the lid first.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the vinegar/steel wool as well as
India ink/dyeing.