Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Electric hand tool recommendations

"Chris Dubea" wrote in message

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 00:37:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

The more I thought about this post, the more I thought about the tools
I frequently use these days, in no particular order.

A good 10" table saw equipped with a Unifence, a good set of 10"
carbide saw blades, and a good dado set.

Got that although the saw is currently in pieces thanks to Katrina.

A jointer.

Got one, see above comment

A bench top planer.

Got one

A router kit with both fixed and plunge bases.

Got one

A 6" Bosch, ROS (I dream about a Fein 8").

Have a PC right angle ROS which I like a lot and a PC square pad ROS
to finish with.

A Fein detail sander with all the goodies.

H'mmm interesting. My experience with detail sanders was with a Ryobi
POS and it definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding detail
sanders. I felt guilty selling it for $5 at a garage sale.

Don't think of it as a "detail sander". Fein calls it a "multimaster" and
it does many things other than detail sanding. Among other things it can
saw flush to a surface and get into places that are inaccessible with a
jigsaw or circular saw.

A Bosch jig saw.

Getting one ;

A 1,500 watt heat gun.

I'm at a loss to understand the usage of this in woodworking.

A battery operated panel saw.

I've got an anathema regarding battery powered saws. As indicated, I
want to replace my current Skil 7 1/4" circular saw with something a
little less, "flimsy".

A battery operated drill.

Got one

A 1/2", right angle, 2 speed, corded drill to handle that collection
of hole saws.

I can see the utility. Kind of pricey for very limited usage though.

Probably the biggest investment is the collection of cutting tools
required for those power tools.

Indeed

After that, it is clamps, clamps and more clamps.

Got those!

HTH

Lew

cheers,