Posted to rec.woodworking
BobS BobS is offline

Default Why a hanger bolt on corner braces, rather than screws?

"Toller" wrote in message
I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with
metal corner braces (there isn't room for wood).

They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a
lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be
taking it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.

But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not
seeing. Thanks.

A table is subject to racking forces and screws simply would not be large
enough to hold the leg secure to the apron.

Bob S.