Martin H. Eastburn

Default If you were building the dream shop

jim rozen wrote:
In article , Gunner says...

Halon is hardly horrible stuff. Its a CFC (NOOOOOOOOO!!) that has had
significant use in fire systems. Its a heavier than air gas, that
displaces the oxygen in the room that its dumped into. IRRC it is
nontoxic, but as it indeed does displace the oxygen, its greatest risk
is suffocation.

The only reason I ask, is that I inherited a small halon extinguisher
(IIRC about a 5lb unit) that I put in our kitchen. I figured
that halon would be the best for a kitchen, where dry powder
would make a real mess.

But if there were health issues with it (a small handheld,
not in a confined space) I would want to know about it.

Jim

please reply to:

The small ones were sold for kitchens - we have one.

The displacement issue was simply that computer and raised floor test rooms
used it to displace oxygen and blanket fire beneath the floor (if there) and to
smother the room without freezing the computers to death. Otherwise CO2 Cardox
could be dumped. CO2 was typically used in paint booths - paint houses and such.

The small amount we have in these canisters won't bother anyone. A bathroom is
plenty large enough. We are talking about hundreds of gallons for a living room
size computer room.

If CO2 dump - there were warning blasts on the first 1000 gal dump - then in the paint house
if you were not out in 3 seconds (yea right) - then 5000 gal is dumped and everything is
frozen. It was a nervous tour as a 21 year old in a summer job at the G.M. plant in Arlington.
Made fantastic money but was glad to be out. (Made more that summer than the regular job in the
next year).

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn