Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default Home Depot sucks

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"z" wrote in message
oups.com...

I imagine all these outfits just have the local stores contract with
local yokels, without having to pass a competency test or such. And
they're probably going to get the folks who really need the business,
rather than those who have a local reputation.

I had a similar experience with Sears years ago. Bought a cheapo
storm/screen door on sale. Won't fit in a Civic. Do they deliver? Not
without installation. OK, send over an installer. The guy's coming in
in the AM when I'm leaving. We nod and grunt. In the aft I come back
and he's put the hole in the door for the latch way inboard (I mean,
the hardware comes with a paper template, how can you be off by more
than an inch?) so now he had to make the latch piece on the door frame
meet, so he built it up with some scrap wood he obtained by breaking
off a piece of the door molding and busting it down and stacking up the
pieces. Not cutting, breaking, leaving a big jagged edge. And it's not
flat molding either, so you've got this stack of chunks of wood where
no layer is flat.

I complain to the store, they call back with 'well he told you when he
saw it it couldn't be a perfect job". 1) he didn't see it until i had
driven off 2) WTF? OK, the store calls back and says he's going to
"come out and look at it again." He doesn't come, but a week later, the
store calls back 'he quit" so they're going to not charge me for the
install. Great, now I only have a screen door with the latch hole in
the wrong place, and a ruined molding.

And this is why you go to a real lumber yard that sells screen doors, and
ask for a referral for a carpenter. Then, you divide the "expensive" price
by the number of years you'll be happy looking at the good workmanship, and
it seems cheap.

I'd be happy just to find somebody that would deliver the thing and let
me attach it. You can't even order them from websites.