Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Electric hand tool recommendations

"Teamcasa" wrote in message
Leon"
Left hand saws are meant to be used with your left hand so that you are
not exposed to the exposed side of the blade. This is a safety feature
for left handers.

Leon, You seem to be the only one who keeps bringing up this issue.
Generally, I have a great deal of respect for your opinion however, on
this issue I believe you are incorrect.

Ok,, fair enough Dave.

The last time I looked at the owners manuals for the PC left and righ saws,
the manual stated to hold the left saw in the left hand and the right saw in
the right hand.
Also, the correct way to cut a board to length is to have the larger area of
the saw base resting on the longer piece of wood and or the piece that is
not going to fall away. When you use the left handed worm drive saw with
your right hand and support the wood with your other, where is ths saw
setting . Is it setting on the small area of the base that is on the left
side of the blade as it should be?

If you look at the PC manual on line you will see that the proper way to
hold the left blade is with your left hand on the triger handle and your
right hand ont the auxillery handle over the motor.

http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Serv...ns/Default.asp

Unfortunately this link does not seem to work as a short cut but if you log
in to the PC/DeWalt site and inquire in to the 423MAG left blade circle saw
you can eventually get to the owners manual. They have a photo of the
correct way to hold the saw.

The blade left saws are not designed for left handed people.
Skil/Bosch/Milwaukee/Dewalt all make saws with left bladed - and they
outsell the right blade ones five to one.

That does not mean that the users are correctly using the saws. Probably
the same ratio of TS users work with out a guard. Does that make working
with out a guard correct?

Still you should not have the blade between your 2 hands. Now this is going
to really throw you. :~) Bosch shows to hold the left blade worm dirive
with your right hand on the trigger handle however to keep the blade from
being positioned between your hands they also illustrate to hold the
auxillery handle with your left hand. Essentially Bosch wants you to criss
corss you hands if you are going to hold the left blade worm dirive with
your righ hand on the trigger handle. This effectively keeps the blade on
the outside position of your hands instead of between your hands. Check the
illustration on Page 4 of the owners manual.
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Serv...ns/Default.asp

Going farther, the side winder right blade manual clearly issustrates that
the right hand should be on the trigger handle and the left on the axillery
handle.

Check page 4 again here

http://66.77.255.87/Images/BOSCHPDF/...ANUAL/CS20.pdf

Interestingly enough, most call
it their professional - heavy duty or framer saw. I generally use my
right hand to saw with and I prefer the left bladed saw. It's much easier
to see the line and hold it on line.

I totally agree that it is easier to see the line however you are also more
exsposed to the open exposed side of the blade and the debris that it may
throw back at you.