Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Which solvent to dilute Tippex?

On 2006-09-27 17:59:06 +0100, "Staffbull" said:

Andy wrote:
I am in the UK. I think Tippex is not available in the US.

These days correction fluids like Tippex seem to have been reformulated
compared to several years ago.

I think the old chemicals used were too hazardous and the dilution fluid
for them was something hazardous like 1,1,1 trichloroethylene.

----

I have some new style Tippex Rapid and it has started to thicken.
See http://tinyurl.com/qyht6

What household solvent can I use to dilute it?

(1) Isopropyl alcohol doesn't do it.
(2) Acetone didn't seem to work.
(3) I think ethyl acetate (nail polish remover) might have worked
although it was getting hard to tell after 1 and 2. But it smells
hazardous.

What can be used?

PS: Note that the other Tippex correction fluid is Tippex Aqua.
See http://tinyurl.com/rpwz9

They banned tippex thinners when I was in school due to the kids
sniffing it !!

IIRC, the correct, and politically incorrect solvent for proper Tippex
(not the girl's school version) is Toluene.

Apparently it clears sinuses as well....