Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Andy is offline

Default Electric hand tool recommendations

Chris Dubea wrote:
Looking at Tyler Tool's website I can get the Bosch 1584AVSK refurb
for about $50 than the 1591 EVSK. Is the newer version work $50
more?

Good question - I haven't used the 1584, so I can't directly answer
that, but you should be able to find the 1591 cheaper than $180, I
would think. I got my 1590 (top handle version) from Coastal Tool for
$150. Toolking.com shows the 1591 for $165. I've also heard very good
things about the Dewalt high-end jigsaws, but haven't used one, and I
don't know if they come in barrel grip.
One other tool for your consideration - do you already have a good
cordless drill/driver? My old crapsman is on its way out, so there
are two that are currently competing for the top spot on my Christmas
list: The little Bosch PS20, and the Makita 14.4V NiMH set with a drill
and a separate impact driver.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-PS20-2-1...628645?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...R786L3 7TKQ51
(If anyone has used either of these, and wants to pass along opinions,
feel free...)
Finally, if you'd consider going cordless, and you don't already have a
few hand planes, I'll throw in a recommendation for a good one of
those. A low-angle block plane (Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen) and #4
smoother (LV, LN or Steve Knight) are high on my list of commonly-used
tools, as well as a shoulder plane (LV, LN, Clifton) for fitting
joints. In my experience, these are faster and more accurate (not to
mention less messy) than a belt sander for most applications.
Have fun with your check,
Andy