Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Cheap Table saw question

On 26 Sep 2006 12:19:42 -0700, wrote:

I'm a novice to woodworking looking for a passable starter table saw in
the $100 range and under. Something servicable to start with. I was
looking at Lowes Task Force BT2500W and ShopMaster SM200L. I will be
doing mostly miter cuts and plan on buildng a miter sled but I want the
versatility of a table saw. Projects will be simple homeowner stuff
(porch steps and shelving) and some recreational items (hurlers like
trebuchets and catapults).

-wylie

For the stuff you plan on doing, (I build trebs too) I'd start with a low end
CMS (compound miter saw)
here's an affordable one at your favorite borg*g*
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...FCE&lpage=none

I was planning on a table saw for my shop when I stumbled on a used Radial Arm
Saw for $50 at a garage sale... between my CMS and RAS, I get along pretty
well..

If you want to limit your spending, think smaller... I'd pick a CMS over a
benchtop table saw most times...
Also, making a rolling stand with folding wings is a fun project and you'll
still be using that stand after replacing your CMS and buying a real table
saw... YMWV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis