Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default how to remove bulb "frozen" in socket

Mark Lloyd wrote in
:

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 21:21:48 -0500, Al Bundy
wrote:

Mark Cato wrote in
:

- jeffc wrote:

I don't know why people are saying things like "wear goggles". If
the WD40 idea doesn't work, just put a sock or something over the
bulb, break it, then force the remaining base to unscrew with
pliers, or 2 pairs of pliers (one on each side of the metal base).

Because wearing safety glasses is easy to advise and won't do any
harm?

I've had some success gently working stubborn bulbs both ways,
gradually unscrewing them. If the bulb breaks, needle-nose pliers
have been a simple fix. I've always managed to use pliers without
damaging the socket, so I've never felt the need to try produce.

Pliers do work 95% of the time just by putting in the socket and
pulling them open while turning. Like you say, the stubborn one you
gotta grab the bulb base.

Man! I swore I killed that breaker!!!! :-)

Pliers are often too big for the job, not fitting between the base of
the broken bulb and the socket. I've often had to remove broken bulb
bases. I use scissors. Of course, that's not trying to CUT the base,
but using them sideways as thin pliers.

Lotsa kinds of pliers out there!