Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
She-Hate-Me She-Hate-Me is offline

Default Choosing a furnace

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm getting my furnace replaced and have some questions. How important
is it for the contractor to be NATE or NADCA certified? The more
expensive, big places really push these certifications. Or is this
more of a sales pitch than anything?

As the owner of a company that has ALL service techs
NATE certified, and being NATE certified myself, I may
be a bit prejudiced.

I will, however, say that anyone who has passed the
NATE test has a proven record of technical competence.

I have 3 choices:

Bryant Plus 90t
5 year parts/labor warranty
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning (I need it)
very well established company with all the fancy certifications and
guarantees
permits
$4360

Cheap in my part of the country-

Bryant Plus 90t
5 year parts/2 year labor warranty
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning still to be added to price, probably $300-400 more
very well established company with all the fancy certifications and
guarantees
permits
$3474

Hardly covers my costs-

Rheem RGRK
10 year parts/labor
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning
smaller company, in business for over 15 years, owner seems very
competent
permits
$3299

Again, hardly covers my costs-

Is there anything good/bad about either furnace? Comments? I know the
bigger places might offer more piece of mind, but the price seems
pretty steep.

Go to the NATE web site and read.