Posted to rec.woodworking
boorite boorite is offline

Default Cheap Table saw question

wrote:
I'm a novice to woodworking looking for a passable starter table saw in
the $100 range and under. Something servicable to start with. I was
looking at Lowes Task Force BT2500W and ShopMaster SM200L. I will be
doing mostly miter cuts and plan on buildng a miter sled but I want the
versatility of a table saw. Projects will be simple homeowner stuff
(porch steps and shelving) and some recreational items (hurlers like
trebuchets and catapults).

The Blowes benchtop saw has those annoying tabs in the miter slot. You
do not want those under any circumstances. You say you want to build a
miter sled.

The Shopmaster is serviceable, but the rip capacity sucks big time.

Just take one step up from the very bottom of the benchtop saw market,
and you'll be OK. For $150-$170, you can get a saw with a more powerful
motor, bigger, flatter table, and more rip capacity. There's a Ryobi
saw in this range with a sliding miter table and 20" rip capacity. I
have the Delta TS220LS and am pleased with it, except the throat insert
blows goats.

Again, the very bottom of the line Shopmaster does work, but it's
severely limiting compared to what you can get at the next price point
up.