Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Choosing a furnace

I'm getting my furnace replaced and have some questions. How important
is it for the contractor to be NATE or NADCA certified? The more
expensive, big places really push these certifications. Or is this
more of a sales pitch than anything?

I have 3 choices:

Bryant Plus 90t
5 year parts/labor warranty
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning (I need it)
very well established company with all the fancy certifications and
guarantees
permits
$4360

Bryant Plus 90t
5 year parts/2 year labor warranty
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning still to be added to price, probably $300-400 more
very well established company with all the fancy certifications and
guarantees
permits
$3474 (plus duct cleaning)

Rheem RGRK
10 year parts/labor
humidifier
media filter
duct cleaning
smaller company, in business for over 15 years, owner seems very
competent
permits
$3299

Is there anything good/bad about either furnace? Comments? I know the
bigger places might offer more piece of mind, but the price seems
pretty steep.

We have a older version of the Bryant 90 plus installed in 89' over the
years its been a decent furnace, there were several problems with it mostly
due to it being an early model of the super high efficiency furnaces. We
have replaced the heat exchange box from it corroding from moisture buildup
and bad drainage design, new model of box isn't supposed to do that. normal
wear and tear has seen the blower motor replaced after 6 years, the inducer
motor replaced after about 8 years, the venturies clogged up and replaced
after about 12 years, after the last service call in 2002 for the venturies
we started getting the repair company out for regular yearly service call in
the fall to clean and check the furnace, year before last we signed a
prearranged deal where they come out twice a year to check before each
season fall and spring for heat and a/c and overall checkup of the system.
We have a 591a model with air conditioner added at time of install. Couple
things you may want to consider is the guy that normally comes out and works
on our unit says that most furnaces are built by only a couple of companies,
forgot who he said bryant was made by but was supposed to be reputable brand
name you pay for the name when you go with courier, lennox, sears whatever.
At the time of our purchase they were just coming out with the ultra
efficient like 90% or higher think ours is like 85% efficient, but the super
efficient ones had nothing but problems. oh some things to consider
depending on type of house maybe adding a attic powered fan, we did reduced
a/c usage somewhat in summer or a whole house fan, have heard nice things
about those as well. If you do not get a/c with your unit you can later add
on a heat pump / a/c unit, splitting your heating source to gas / electric,
also heard good things about that set up depending on electical costs in
your area. heat pumps work to about 40 degrees i think.

Good luck on your choice.