Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default Choosing a furnace

writes:

Noon-Air wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm getting my furnace replaced and have some questions. How important
is it for the contractor to be NATE or NADCA certified? The more
expensive, big places really push these certifications. Or is this
more of a sales pitch than anything?

Do you want your new furnace installed by a *qualified* technician?? or by
"Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob"??

But, how do I know he's not qualified? He's licensed and insured, and
the company has been a member of the BBB since 1980 and has no
complaints in the last 3 years, the maximum reporting period.
Correction: has been in business for 26 years to be exact, not 15.

These are all plusses.

My belief is that someone doesn't necessarily have to be "certified
this" and "certified that" as long as they have the proper licenses,
insurance, and experience to do the work. The company obviously is
able to install and repair HVAC based on it's record. I'm just
speculating here. Is there anything wrong with my reasoning?

The only thing you may be missing is any assurance on continuing
education. These high efficiency furnaces have only come about in the
latter half of this company's career, and are a good deal more
complicated than the old stuff, and 13SEER A/C if you're doing it
surely present new things to know as well. One thing the certs might
potentially bring is some assurance that they are current with changes
that have occurred in hte industry lately. Others can answer whether
those certs actually have such continuing ed requirements.

But that said, I too am curious/dubious about the cert value. But it
certainly wouldn't be a strike against someone. And frankly, if
someone's name is on the business and I'm getting a 10 year warranty
from them and they've been in business for 26 years, I'm worrying if
they'll be around to honor that warranty, or who backs the warranty if
that shop is no longer in business when I need the work? You may have
this angle covered, but just wanted to toss it out there.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/