Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden raden is offline

Default Britih Gas: Cubic Feet to Cubic Matres

In message , Phil L
writes
Brian Sharrock wrote:
For many years I've only checked the 'readings' on my quarterly Gas
Bill and not bothered to perform the calculations leading to the
money bill.
However having recently completed a change of plumbing circuitry, I've
become an 'anorak' about gas consumption and I've been reading the
meter everyday.

My meter registers consumption in cubic feet. British Gas charges in
KwH. There is a 'conversion carried out to convert cubic feet
(consumed) into cubic meters thence into KilowattHours.

According to British Gas's helpful explanation on their bills and
website; the cubic feet consumed is _multiplied_ by 2.38 (the website
states that his step my be omitted if the meter registers in m^3)
then transmogrifies into KilowattHours via a series of multiply by
the number you first thought of ....

As far as I can see: British Gas are stating that one cubic foot
equates to 2.38 cubic metres! I've asked British Gas to confirm this but
all
I've got are flunky's responses that the 'equation' leads to a
correct calculation of my bill.

Given that one cubic foot is 12 in x 12 in x 12 in and that one cubic
metre is 39.37 in x 39.37 in x 39.37 in, I can't reconcile where the
'multiply by 2.83' statement originates.

Surely, a cubic-foot is smaller than a cubic-metre! Why multiply by
2.83?*
Any body with an explanation?

A cubic foot is 0.028316849999999997 of a cubic metre.
There are 35.31466 cu feet in a cubic metre.

35.31466 X 0.028316849999999997 = 0.9999999993002099989405602

or 35.31 X 2.83 = 99.9273

Later on in the equation it must divide by 100

What IS the point of point of so many decimal places

.... other than making you look a bit silly

--
geoff