Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Britih Gas: Cubic Feet to Cubic Matres

For many years I've only checked the 'readings' on my quarterly Gas Bill and
not bothered to perform the calculations leading to the money bill.

However having recently completed a change of plumbing circuitry, I've
become an 'anorak' about gas consumption and I've been reading the meter
everyday.

My meter registers consumption in cubic feet. British Gas charges in KwH.
There is a 'conversion carried out to convert cubic feet (consumed) into
cubic meters thence into KilowattHours.

According to British Gas's helpful explanation on their bills and website;
the cubic feet consumed is _multiplied_ by 2.38 (the website states that his
step my be omitted if the meter registers in m^3) then transmogrifies into
KilowattHours via a series of multiply by the number you first thought of

As far as I can see: British Gas are stating that one cubic foot equates to
2.38 cubic metres! I've asked British Gas to confirm this but all I've got
are flunky's responses that the 'equation' leads to a correct calculation of
my bill.

Given that one cubic foot is 12 in x 12 in x 12 in and that one cubic metre
is 39.37 in x 39.37 in x 39.37 in, I can't reconcile where the 'multiply by
2.83' statement originates.

Surely, a cubic-foot is smaller than a cubic-metre! Why multiply by 2.83?*

Any body with an explanation?

--

Brian

*There are valid reasons not to divide something in software. Unless steps
are taken to validate the divisor a divide operation _might_ lead to a
'Divide by Zero - illegal operation' and cause a run to halt. It's much
safer to multiply by a reciprocal ; e.g. don't divide by four, rather
multiply by. 0.25.
Guess what the 'reciprocal' in this case [12^3 / 39.37^3] is ... how many
decimal places?

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 21:12:12 UTC, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

My meter registers consumption in cubic feet. British Gas charges in KwH.
There is a 'conversion carried out to convert cubic feet (consumed) into
cubic meters thence into KilowattHours.

According to British Gas's helpful explanation on their bills and website;
the cubic feet consumed is _multiplied_ by 2.38 (the website states that his
step my be omitted if the meter registers in m^3) then transmogrifies into
KilowattHours via a series of multiply by the number you first thought of

As far as I can see: British Gas are stating that one cubic foot equates to
2.38 cubic metres! I've asked British Gas to confirm this but all I've got
are flunky's responses that the 'equation' leads to a correct calculation of
my bill.

100 cubic feet is 2.83 cubic metres. I'd bet that the meter registers in
hundreds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"Brian Sharrock" wrote in message
[...]

1 cubic foot =0.02831685 cubic metres

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:

My meter registers consumption in cubic feet. British Gas charges in KwH.

Your meter probably reads in 100s of cubic feet which may go some way to
explain the difference.

The conversion:

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&...rs&btnG=Search

There is a 'conversion carried out to convert cubic feet (consumed) into
cubic meters thence into KilowattHours.

According to British Gas's helpful explanation on their bills and website;
the cubic feet consumed is _multiplied_ by 2.38 (the website states that his

2.83 sounds more like it...

Surely, a cubic-foot is smaller than a cubic-metre! Why multiply by 2.83?*

Their explanation seems to be wanting somewhat! For 100s of cubic feet
to m^3 however, the numbers look ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Sharrock wrote:
[...]

A cubic foot is 0.028316849999999997 of a cubic metre.
There are 35.31466 cu feet in a cubic metre.

35.31466 X 0.028316849999999997 = 0.9999999993002099989405602

or 35.31 X 2.83 = 99.9273

Later on in the equation it must divide by 100

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Sharrock
wrote

Surely, a cubic-foot is smaller than a cubic-metre! Why multiply by 2.83?*

The gas meter reading is in units of 100 cubic feet. You don't read the
last two dials/figures when submitting a reading.

100 cubic feet = 2.831685 cubic meters.

http://www.house.co.uk/cgi-bin/house...PopUpEditorial.
jsp?BV_SessionID=HHHH1402320481.1159134046HHHH&BV_ EngineID=ccccaddilmfhhj
kcefecfngdfhidfmi.0&_txtEdKey=meter_reading_gas_po pup&_txtPrintable=false
&_linkKey=meter_reading_gas_popup&_strType=INLI NE

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Phil L
writes
Brian Sharrock wrote:
[...]

What IS the point of point of so many decimal places

.... other than making you look a bit silly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
snip
A cubic foot is 0.028316849999999997 of a cubic metre.

According to Google, 1 cubic foot = 0.0283168466 cubic meters.
Which is correct?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

What IS the point of point of so many decimal places
... other than making you look a bit silly

Especially in view of the fact that BG truncate the conversion factor to
2 decimal places (100 ft^3 = 2.83 m^3) and the meter's only accurate
to about ±2% in the first place.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , Phil L
writes
Brian Sharrock wrote:
[...]

Or maybe the site I cut and pasted it from...what was the point of your post
to this thread? - did it serve *any* purpose at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Phil L wrote:
snip
A cubic foot is 0.028316849999999997 of a cubic metre.

According to Google, 1 cubic foot = 0.0283168466 cubic meters.
Which is correct?

0.028316849999999997

I use a British site, to avoid misunderstandings - Wiki says it's
0.028316846592 too, but this is ammended at will by members of the public
http://www.gordonengland.co.uk/conversion/volume.htm

There's dozens of calculators on that site and I've been using it for years,
it's never let me down yet when ordering stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
raden wrote:

What IS the point of point of so many decimal places
... other than making you look a bit silly

Especially in view of the fact that BG truncate the conversion factor to 2
decimal places (100 ft^3 = 2.83 m^3) and the meter's only accurate to
about ±2% in the first place.

--
Andy

Jumping in again; I've studied my bills and their counterpart on the web.
BG state that cons* = consumption in cubic feet. They cite my average cons*
as approx 2 per day- the only figure quoted is four digits - not the two
'smaller red' digits
So; somewhere BG are inconsistent - they don't quote cubic feet but
_hundreds of cubic feet_.

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
raden wrote:

What IS the point of point of so many decimal places
... other than making you look a bit silly

Especially in view of the fact that BG truncate the conversion factor to
2 decimal places (100 ft^3 = 2.83 m^3) and the meter's only accurate to
about ±2% in the first place.

--
Andy

Jumping in again; I've studied my bills and their counterpart on the web.
BG state that cons* = consumption in cubic feet. They cite my average
cons* as approx 2 per day- the only figure quoted is four digits - not the
two 'smaller red' digits
So; somewhere BG are inconsistent - they don't quote cubic feet but
_hundreds of cubic feet_.

All imperial meters measure in 100's of cubic feet and often have a couple
of dummy "00" figures after the ones you read on the meter to indicate this.
Sloppy practice and the fact that the meters are or were labelled "Cubic
Feet" (as they included the dummy "00" figures) but the dummy figures are
ignored on readings has lead to the confusion (a bit like "Calories"
actually being kCals). 100 cubic feet = 2.83 cubic metres so the calculation
is correct.

There is another thread here where the customer was bing charged as if they
had an imperial meter when it was, in fact, metric and was refunded £750 (as
I recall) so it's worth checking that if your meter is metric!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:

Grumps wrote:

Phil L wrote:
snip

A cubic foot is 0.028316849999999997 of a cubic metre.

According to Google, 1 cubic foot = 0.0283168466 cubic meters.
Which is correct?

0.028316849999999997

I make it 0.028,316,846,592 /exactly/.

Start with 1 in. = 0.0254 m exactly, by definition.

Multiply by 12, so 1 ft. = 0.3048 m exactly.

Multiply the cube out longhand (ages since I've done that).

3048 * 3048 * 3048 = 28,316,846,592

Therefore 1 ft^3 = 0.028,316,846,592 m^2.

QED.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
raden wrote:

[...]

"My" meter - A Schlumberger R5 - is marked ft^3: it displays four white
digits and two smaller red digits with a analogue pointer marked with 0 at
the top and 0.5 at the bottom.

Sloppy practice and the fact that the meters are or were labelled "Cubic
Feet" (as they included the dummy "00" figures) but the dummy figures are
ignored on readings has lead to the confusion (a bit like "Calories"
actually being kCals). 100 cubic feet = 2.83 cubic metres so the
calculation is correct.

It's really sloppy practise to declare that the cnsumption is in cubic feet
when it's actually Hundred Cubic foot !

There is another thread here where the customer was bing charged as if
they had an imperial meter when it was, in fact, metric and was refunded
£750 (as I recall) so it's worth checking that if your meter is metric!

No, the meter installed, yonks ago, is definitely registering cubic feet.