Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Copper prices

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:03:01 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:35:16 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 19:27:14 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

$146 dollars for 10/2 x 250 ft?
What's worse, 100 feet is less than half the cost, and 1000 feet is a tad
(like 10 bucks) under 4 times the cost.

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but doesn't this part, the
ratios, make sense?

No. Typically from what I've seen in the past, it is cheaper to buy larger
amounts. I don't mean just a little cheaper, I mean why buy 100' when 250'
is much cheaper on a per foot basis? That kind of cheap. Now it seems like
on a per foot basis the price isn't changing at all. Nominally I would say
that the makers of romex have gotten smart and realized that people were
buying long lengths and cutting it for multiple jobs. So they equalized the
prices and now its just as cheap to buy multiple 100' rolls.

I see what you mean. All I saw in your numbers before was that it was
a little cheaper to buy longer lengths.

You should also be careful in the grocery store. I've seen cases
where big sizes cost more per amount than smaller sizes, and other
places where the price savings was only 5 cents.

I remember something about some kids selling candy 2 for a nickel, 3
for a dime.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."
-- George Washington