Posted to alt.home.repair
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Copper prices

wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:48:44 GMT, "nowforsale"
wrote:

supply and demand, those who supply it have figured out they can sell it
for
more and few will protest

Perhaps now that the new house market is cooling people may start
protesting with their wallet and reducing demand.
Copper plumbing is rapidly becoming obsolete in most places and I
wouldn't be surprised if aluminum wire made a comeback. It is very
common in sizes above #8 anyway. Alcan is already trying to
rehibilitate the reputation for smaller sizes in electrical seminars.
The new style MC cable uses an aluminum grounding conductor. That is a
33% saving in copper use. KIng Industries is pushing a splicing device
that doesn't require special tools and training so you can pigtail
copper for the receptacle and switch device connection.

Well as a way of ending this one and preventing it from turning into a
platform for rants. I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought my Romex. I
figure I might as well before the price goes up again. Lowes had 250' of
12/2 for $79 so I went for it.