Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeffery Jones Jeffery Jones is offline

Default Install single lever washing machine valve?

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 04:32:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Installing a single control valve won't prevent
anything. You need to turn valves off each time
you finish using the washing machine. If you
can't do it now with two valves, you won't be able
to do it with 1 valve.

You're right in that it only prevents catastrophies that would have
occured while not washing and only if I remember to turn it off. A
battery operated alarm connected to the laundry room door closure and
valve would be a simple failsafe reminder.

I'd be much more likely to turn off a single lever valve (2 seconds
flip VS 60 seconds of cranking). Also, in my limited experience,
frequent rotary boiler valve operation can result in valve seal
failures due to overtightening, etc.

If you really want to prevent possible flooding
you need to install solenoid controlled valves
that are normally shut and only open when the
washing machine operates. The solenoids probably
needs to be controlled by circuit of the main
timer/main control.

I have just found an electronic cutoff valve (watts) controlled by
the washer so it'd be simple. It also comes with a moisture sensor.
And an adapter kit is available for a dual boiler valve box. Total
list price about $270 --- probably less than a full plumber retrofit
of the dual valve cutoff.

However, it seems to be a case of nearly too complicated for a
protection device, and could easily to fail within an estimated 20
year lifetime. It requires a surge protector, however an external
surge protector would not protect against a voltage spike between the
water pipes and power line - a likely condition in a lightning strike.

This could require talking the wife through how to bypass the device
if it is hit by lighning while out of town.