Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Install single lever washing machine valve?

After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jeffery Jones wrote:
After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

Overkill, IMO.

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

Almost any plumber will be happy to hack some holes in your drywall.
Very few can/will make good afterwards ;-)

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?

Just buy and fit some really good quality hoses (e.g. with stainless
steel braided sheath). Inspect regularly.

Alternatively, if you really want another electronic gizmo, consider
something like this:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/washin...toffvalve.html

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a single handle washing machine shutoff I installed 25 years ago
and were I to do it over I would just use 2 ball valves. Cheaper and
allows you to do a very hot wash by turning of the cold water for
things like dyeing.

Get good quality hoses-the ones with stainless braid are less prone to
bursting.
valves?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffery Jones wrote:

After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?

Definitely a good idea to install one, but are you sure that you can
train all the machine users to remember to shut the valve off when they
are done using the machine? And what happens if a hose decides to blow
from the water hammer when a washing machine solenoid valve closes, and
no one is right there keeping an eye on things?

You might want to consider using an automatic water detecting shut off
valve set like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/naqj9

Using one of those systems takes care of the issues I raised, plus you
won't have to do any wall ripping or soldering either.

And, if you want to be really anal about it, you can push the "OFF"
button on the controller when the laundry is done. G

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

will a floood do damage? with washer in basement on concrete floor who
cares.

with washer on 3rd floor WORRY.

do install properly a auto off valve, and for extra protection a washer
catch pan with drain line somew where like a washtub......

minimizes leaks and they cant do serious damage.

few people will remember to use every time even a single lever valve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffery Jones wrote:
After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?

Replace the rubber hoses with metal hoses (like you use to hook up a water
heater).

No sense in a $500.00 solution when a $5 one will suffice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:47:30 GMT, Jeffery Jones
wrote:

After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

I've seen these valves. I think the idea is to make it easy for home
owner to flick on the valves to wash, and flick off when moving the
clothes to the dryer. I think many insurance companies would be happy
to see these in homes.

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

You will have to talk with a plumber. Get all steps in detail,
including clean up. Dont' assume they clean, since you are paying
them a high price to use your vaccum.

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeffery Jones wrote:
After reading that Washing machine hoses, etc are statistically the
biggest cause of flooding, I would like to prevent this.

I currently have a standard washing machine wall box with 2 standard
multi-turn boiler water valves. I would like to retrofit a single
lever dual-valve shutoff in place of the 2 standard valves.

The house is about 10 years old, but I have no idea if the valves
are threaded or soldered in place. I'd have to rip out the drywall
around the Washer box to either hold the nut to unscrew the old valves
or to be able to unsolder the old valves.

1.) Is this a good idea?

2.) Could a plumber do all this including cutting out the drywall,
etc?

3.) What about a no-construction jackleg sort of solution which
would be 2 hosepipe-to-1/2"-adapters so that the dual-valve would be
installed outside the boiler valves?

Installing a single control valve won't prevent
anything. You need to turn valves off each time
you finish using the washing machine. If you
can't do it now with two valves, you won't be able
to do it with 1 valve.

If you really want to prevent possible flooding
you need to install solenoid controlled valves
that are normally shut and only open when the
washing machine operates. The solenoids probably
needs to be controlled by circuit of the main
timer/main control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Installing a single control valve won't prevent anything. You need to
turn valves off each time you finish using the washing machine. If you
can't do it now with two valves, you won't be able to do it with 1 valve.

I don't know how you were raised, but it is much easier
to turn off one valve with a touch of the finger than it
is to turn off 2 valves taking several stiff rotations.

I just installed a dual toggle valve and, while I don't
always remember to turn it off, I do the majority of the
time.

Bill Gill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 04:32:36 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Installing a single control valve won't prevent
anything. You need to turn valves off each time
you finish using the washing machine. If you
can't do it now with two valves, you won't be able
to do it with 1 valve.

You're right in that it only prevents catastrophies that would have
occured while not washing and only if I remember to turn it off. A
battery operated alarm connected to the laundry room door closure and
valve would be a simple failsafe reminder.

I'd be much more likely to turn off a single lever valve (2 seconds
flip VS 60 seconds of cranking). Also, in my limited experience,
frequent rotary boiler valve operation can result in valve seal
failures due to overtightening, etc.

If you really want to prevent possible flooding
you need to install solenoid controlled valves
that are normally shut and only open when the
washing machine operates. The solenoids probably
needs to be controlled by circuit of the main
timer/main control.

I have just found an electronic cutoff valve (watts) controlled by
the washer so it'd be simple. It also comes with a moisture sensor.
And an adapter kit is available for a dual boiler valve box. Total
list price about $270 --- probably less than a full plumber retrofit
of the dual valve cutoff.

However, it seems to be a case of nearly too complicated for a
protection device, and could easily to fail within an estimated 20
year lifetime. It requires a surge protector, however an external
surge protector would not protect against a voltage spike between the
water pipes and power line - a likely condition in a lightning strike.

This could require talking the wife through how to bypass the device
if it is hit by lighning while out of town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're right in that it only prevents catastrophies that would have
occured while not washing and only if I remember to turn it off. A
battery operated alarm connected to the laundry room door closure and
valve would be a simple failsafe reminder.

actually not true. most failures are burst hoses. minimizing time they
are pressurized by auto valve should help prevent a disaster all the
time.... less wear on hoses

deally a electric valve that turns water off when washer isnt in use
PLUS turns water off at any time if a leak is detected.

Your concern appears to be a auto valve damaged by a power surge.....

add surge protection to your main breaker cabinet and make certain
everything is well grounded.

a serious power surge can cause way more damage than being unable to do
laundry, most folks have a ew days worth of extra clothes, time enough
if your out of town for a plumber visit...... or laundrymat. or phone
directions for wife

kms kuba sewing machinery Home Repair 0 April 27th 06 10:16 AM
kms kuba sewing machinery UK diy 0 April 5th 06 10:20 AM
sewing machinery sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 21st 06 01:54 PM
Washing machine drain backs up! Horatio Hornblower Home Repair 20 February 24th 04 01:56 AM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 02:09 AM