Bob Engelhardt

Default Generators and Back-up power

jk wrote:

I wrote:
... generator breaker would blow in about a millisecond.

Probably significantly longer, especially if your voltage regulator
isn't very stiff. Essentially you voltage doesn't rise, and your gen
set acts much more like a constant current generator rather than
constant voltage. ...

That sounds like what would happen if the generator were started under
load. Is that what you're suggesting? If so, do people really do
that? I always start my generator without load and switch on the load
after it's up to speed.

Otherwise, switching the load on after the generator is running would
surely pop the breaker. That's what breakers are for. You're not
saying that you can dump a dead short across a generator and have it act
like a "current generator" with a lowered voltage?

Bob