Posted to alt.home.repair
nowforsale nowforsale is offline

Default Copper prices

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Possibly already been argued ad nauseum, but what the heck is making
copper so damned expensive? I priced out Romex, now that I will be able
to re-wire my newly grounded box, and its outrageous. $146 dollars for
10/2 x 250 ft? What's worse, 100 feet is less than half the cost, and 1000
feet is a tad (like 10 bucks) under 4 times the cost. Don't even talk to
me about 12/2 or 14/2. It ain't cheaper to get more now, it sure was 2
months ago.

Copper pipe is just as bad. What's happened in the world that has made
copper such a valuable commodity? Please don't tell me the war in Iraq,
'cause that's BS.

supply and demand, those who supply it have figured out they can sell it for
more and few will protest (after all, protesting is politically incorrect
nowadays), kinda like energy costs and the ken lay types who live lives of
extravagant luxury in clouds of suspicion

maybe increased transportation costs due to fat cat corporate big wigs
wanting higher salaries and more retirement