Posted to alt.solar.thermal,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair,alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.homepower
-zero -zero is offline

Default Church solar heating improvements

wrote in message
When the Pottstown PA UU church was built, one part of the plan
was a sunspace on the south wall. That hasn't been built yet...

snip
On an average January day, we might keep the room 50 F for 6 hours with
sun shining through the doors and room air thermosyphoning through a new
air heater on the upper part of the south wall. When the room is warm
enough, we might push room air from the north part of the ceiling south
through a horizontal plastic film duct under the ceiling into the lower
part of the air heater and stop thermosyponing with one-way plastic film
dampers in vents from the room to the air heater just above the doors,
using Grainger's $62.90 4WT44 10" diameter 26 watt 665 cfm fan (which
has a 176 F max temperature rating.) The existing slow ceiling fans and
a thermostat could warm the room at night and on cloudy days.

Nick,
At the end of the day, what all church attendees/members want is to be
as comfortable as the next church. Nothing hurts worse than 50° pews on very
old tithe paying bones.

They want energy savings, they just don't want energy savings when
they're in/around the building. "Hear me now and believe me later." ...It
just is. And yes they all will litigate after the fact, no matter what they
"told you" they wanted.

So, the most acceptable solution is.... highest R-value insulation all
around (set a new worlds R-value record!) with multiple high efficiency
heat/cool units, zoned to accommodate scheduled events and activities. A
single central multiple zone controller for all the HVAC systems, WITH, a
very simple looking large momentary push button that says "occupied" in
every room/zone as needed so unexpected meetings, youth gatherings or
services can easily bypass the standby settings for a one-shot timed event.
A minimal learning curve for all involved.

With all that being said... once again, as many things in life, the
best answer (maximum energy savings) is not necessarily the correct answer.

-zero

snip