Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

Default Copper prices

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 21:13:37 -0600, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Possibly already been argued ad nauseum, but what the heck is making
copper so damned expensive? I priced out Romex, now that I will be able
to re-wire my newly grounded box, and its outrageous. $146 dollars for
10/2 x 250 ft? What's worse, 100 feet is less than half the cost, and 1000
feet is a tad (like 10 bucks) under 4 times the cost. Don't even talk to
me about 12/2 or 14/2. It ain't cheaper to get more now, it sure was 2
months ago.

Copper pipe is just as bad. What's happened in the world that has made
copper such a valuable commodity? Please don't tell me the war in Iraq,
'cause that's BS.

Simple supply and demand. When supply was plentiful, mines shut down as
prices are too low to justify operation. Then when the supply gets tight,
prices rise. It takes time to get mines back into production (as well as
the right price point) so hence, you end up with low supply and what seems
like high demand for awhile. It'll come back down just as soon as more
mines get back online and start increasing the supply. China is a part of
the demand picture but is certainly not the only country demanding copper.
Cheers,
cc

Actually, copper will NEVER come back down in price. Not in your
life time.