Posted to rec.woodworking
LKB LKB is offline

Default How much flatness is OK on a jointer?

Larry wrote:
I can't imagine any of the measurements you mentioned having any
discernible effect on cutting wood. If you don't mind the question,
what's the ballpark cost of a machine like that, anyway?

Thanks for the reply. You can find information on Rojek machines at:

http://www.rojekusa.com/PHP/index.php

As you'll see, they're currently running a "free shipping" sale on the
310 J/P combination.

Another similar machine to consider is the Hammer A3-31. This is made
by the same folks who make Felder machines. It's more expensive than
the Rojek, but has a few more bells and whistles (like digital readout
on the planer). Not cheap but still less than comparable machines from
Minimax and Knapp.

From what I've seen so far, the Rojek machine is a beast. Everything

is extremely heavy duty (the machine itself is about 800 lbs), and the
Tersa head makes knife changing ridiculously easy (under 1 minute, with
no subsequent adjustment necessary). Infeed table height control is a
parallelogram design, and thus fine-tuning the alignment of the infeed
table with the outfeed table requires just a socket wrench -- no shims
required. Fit and finish are excellent; runs quietly and with minimal
vibration. Gonna run some stock though it today and we'll see how it
passes the real world test.

LKB