Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default solar panels

On 24 Sep 2006 06:46:37 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

Why do you think panels can not work in winter?

Please indicate where I said they do not work in winter.

The question is how well their output matches heating demand.

Its fairly basic science.

It is a matter of engineering rather than science.

Certainly there will be more output at the ends of the heating
season than the middle, this is true for all solar thermal systems.

I'm glad you have now adopted this more realistic line, rather than
your earlier one that such systems would heat all of a building all
year round in the UK.

Yes... and thats precisely why space heating yields more return.

Assuming it does.

Theres only so much DHW a house uses.

Indeed, which is why matching is important.

Much more space heating energy is used,

Correct.

thus much bigger potential paybacks are available there.

That does not necessarily follow.

Plus setup cost is much lower.

Perhaps, if one is converting a wooden barn in a desert. However, a
UK building is rather different.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh