Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bioboffin Bioboffin is offline

Default solar panels

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message

Thanks to all who replied to this. We have a problem with cavity wall
insulation because the house has a wood frame, and I understand that
cavity wall insulation is not an option for us.

I thought that modern timber framed houses had wall insulation built
in.

Ours does, but apparently the amount put in varies quite a lot. There is a
minimum standard which is fairly inadequate.

We heat the house using a (newish) gas boiler, and fuel bills are
quite low (£70/month for gas and electricity combined) - for a semi.

That's not LOW!

Until three months ago, we were paying £40/month (for both), but the
supplier bumped it up a bit probably in anticipation of higher bills
following recent fuel increases. We probably actually use somewhere around
£50/month over the year as a whole. Apparently the average bill in the UK
last February was £68/month, so we are using less than average. Hence the
word 'low'.

As we are expecting to move in a few years time, it would not be
cost-effective for us to install some kind of solar system.

It would probably increase the value of your house and save money for
you in the meantime.

You have a point, but I'm not yet convinced that it would be a
cost-effective improvement for us. I suspect that most house buyers tend to
be more impressed by modern-looking kitchens than by solar cells on the
roof.

--

John