Posted to uk.gov.social-security,uk.rec.cars.misc,uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains
tony tony is offline

Default Do old -style opticians cut lenses on premises [OT]

Alex Coleman wrote:
On 23 Sep 2006, Chris wrote:

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Chris
writes
"Jaxx" wrote in message
[off topic]

Regarding the UK ...

Do the old style optician shops (one-man-&-receptionist who test
eyes and dispense specs) usually cut the lens to fit the frame
actually ON THE PREMISES?

Or, in the case of these small opticians, is cutting the lenses
to shape something which would usually be done by some external
company that probably supplied the lenses?
My optician certainly does (single shop, not a chain).
Fascinating to watch and the glass dust is weird

Glass ?

--
geoff

Yeah - when I watched (a few years back) most lenses were still
glass. I still wear glass lenses where possible

The cracks in glass are better quality, I guess? :-)

i prefer plastic it doesnt shatter, it is lighter and i cant tell the
difference in quality, any problems i have got is down to how good the
original prescription is! you dont get a choice they all plastic
nowadays- no one asked me "would you like glass sir? or a poke in the
eye with a blunt stick!" LOL