Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default solar panels

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 16:10:39 GMT someone who may be "Bioboffin"
wrote this:-

Please enlarge on this! We have double glazing; draught proofing; a full
layer of insulation in the attic. What do you suggest now, before going for
solar panels?

Others have mentioned the walls. There is also the question of the
floors. Having sealed up the house tightly you might like to
consider total house ventilation, with heat recovery. It may be that
a wood burning stove would provide useful heat input too. You didn't
say how the water is currently heated.

Don't be fooled by advocates of solar space heating. It may work
well in a location where there are cold nights and sunlit days.
However there are few deserts in the UK. In the UK solar space
heating can reduce the load on other forms of heating during spring
and autumn, but it is not an all year system. If you have a suitable
house a passive design, can be added on, but don't expect too much.

You also need to consider hot water consumption. Have you minimised
this? Are the hot water pipes insulated and the runs minimised?

Electricity generating panels are still uneconomic if measured on
simple payback, or discounted cash flow. However, this will change.

And what are those other reasons?

Reducing carbon emissions, reducing reliance on external supplies,
doing one's bit, a warm green feeling. There can be many reasons,
everyone is different.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh