Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Copper prices

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Possibly already been argued ad nauseum, but what the heck is making
copper so damned expensive? I priced out Romex, now that I will be able
to re-wire my newly grounded box, and its outrageous. $146 dollars for
10/2 x 250 ft? What's worse, 100 feet is less than half the cost, and 1000
feet is a tad (like 10 bucks) under 4 times the cost. Don't even talk to
me about 12/2 or 14/2. It ain't cheaper to get more now, it sure was 2
months ago.

Copper pipe is just as bad. What's happened in the world that has made
copper such a valuable commodity? Please don't tell me the war in Iraq,
'cause that's BS.

The global economy is doing well; India and China are moderizing like crazy
and that takes copper. It is pretty much like oil.

All I know is that I had 470' of 12/2 on Craigslist for weeks now for $75
and no one wants it. Go figure. (I bought it at garage sales for $20 and
have way more than I will ever use)