Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Fixing Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor Update 2

Ether Jones wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

Now you have us all curious and hope to hear what the solution is. I
keep coming back to the electrical system which could be related to both
symptoms.

What single electrical cause do you have in mind, specifically, that
would cause both slow engine stalling AND slow cranking, that hasn't
already been ruled out by the tests that Paul has conducted?

Not getting enough voltage to the starter.

Starter is getting 9.5 volts under load. That should be enough to
crank the engine, no?

I really don't know. It sounds rather low to me. With a small engine I
would expect the battery voltage to be a bit higher. And I wonder what
he calls slow cranking. Maybe it is still fast enough that it should
try to start. I would jumper a big car battery to just be sure. Hard
to guess from here not seeing and hearing what it sounds like.

If I could feel how difficult it is to turn over by hand I might get
different thoughts.

At this point I know I am just throwing out wild ideas. Trying to
reconcile the problem running with the crank problem and keep coming
back to electrical.

A magneto system would not be affected by the battery. Yeah, I would
expect it would have the module. When did they come out? 30 years ago.

I know from experience with them you can test the spark system by
holding the wire and turning the flywheel by hand!! Not that I ever did
that intentionally but I was close enough to the wire that I got bit.
Should know better too because I have gotten bit more times than I
should have but fortunately not by really high voltages that I have
worked with at times (30,000 volts on Radar Transmitters). But with
that you might not be around to tell about it later on.

I was wondering what type of ignition system it has. That is electronic from the
battery or Magneto.

Magneto, with either an electronic module or breaker points. I think
Paul's engine has the electronic module instead of points.