Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Copper prices

Eigenvector wrote:
Possibly already been argued ad nauseum, but what the heck is making
copper so damned expensive? I priced out Romex, now that I will be
able to re-wire my newly grounded box, and its outrageous. $146
dollars for 10/2 x 250 ft? What's worse, 100 feet is less than half
the cost, and 1000 feet is a tad (like 10 bucks) under 4 times the
cost. Don't even talk to me about 12/2 or 14/2. It ain't cheaper to
get more now, it sure was 2 months ago.
Copper pipe is just as bad. What's happened in the world that has
made copper such a valuable commodity? Please don't tell me the war
in Iraq, 'cause that's BS.

Commodity (oil, copper, pork bellies, pornography, coffee, etc.) prices
follow the rule: "rocket up, feather down."

Disruptions in the supply/demand ratio cause prices to rise dramatically
and, as production catches up with demand, prices ooze down.