Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default How much flatness is OK on a jointer?

"LKB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings:

I recently took delivery on a Rojek MSP310 12" jointer/planer combo
machine. While the machine appears to have arrived in undamaged and
good condition, I'd like to make sure before a my inspection period
runs out. Unfortunately, the operating manual doesn't have any specs
on the table / fence flatness tolerances.

Question for the group: How flat is "good enough" for a better machine?
(I'm not expecting aerospace industry precision, but then again this
isn't exactly a cheap Far East import either.)

Here's what I've measured, using 1 year-old,
always-handled-like-a-sacred-relic 24" Veritas steel straightedge
(0.001" tolerance over its length), a brand new set of feeler gauges, a
0.001' resolution dial indicator, and a Starrett combination squa

Infeed table (about 26" long x 13" wide) has dips of about 0.004" along
the front and back parts of the table (measured about 1" from the
edge), and a crown of slightly under 0.002" down the middle. Polishing
marks seem to indicate that the center part of the infeed table was
machined a bit more than the rest of the table.

Outfeed table (same size as infeed) also has dips (about 0.0025") along
the front and back parts of the table, but is essentially flat down the
middle.

Outfeed table was parallel to the Tersa cutterhead (less than 0.001"
difference front to back) out of the crate. Infeed table was
originally about 0.010" out of parallel with outfeed table, but after
adjustment is now within 0.001".

Fence (6" wide, 48" long, aluminum) is cupped a bit (about 0.0015"
near the cutterhead, about 0.004" at the ends).

What does the collective wisdom think? Flat enough or should I be
complaining?

Oh yeah; my jointer is accurate to 0.00000012", and that is pretty marginal.
Take it back immediately and demand a proper one.

(are you using it to make integrated circuits?)