Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV RayV is offline

Default Replacing bathroom water fixtures

Speedy Jim wrote:
Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Tear out the wall on the opposite side.
You will not be able to work from the tile
side to do the pipe work required.

If it's not practical to get to the opposite side,
then plan on re-tiling that wall (at a minimum).

In any event, you'll have to replace a couple of tiles
where 2 of the controls were, unless a giant "goof" plate
to cover over it all suits you.

Jim

Saw Rich Trethewy {sp?} from TOH do just this upgrade and he did use a
giant "goof" plate that did not look bad at all. I would search around
for this plate or just go to a real plumbing store and have the guy get
you one off the shelf in the back room. Much easier than trying to
replace a few tiles and have it look nice.