Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing bathroom water fixtures

I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Tear out the wall on the opposite side.
You will not be able to work from the tile
side to do the pipe work required.

If it's not practical to get to the opposite side,
then plan on re-tiling that wall (at a minimum).

In any event, you'll have to replace a couple of tiles
where 2 of the controls were, unless a giant "goof" plate
to cover over it all suits you.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common
place these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a
DIY job? For one, I would be really careful in removing the least
amount of tiles where they are located.

Well it will mean removing a number of those tile and trying to replace
them so they will not be noticed and to replace at least two tile with new
tile to match. Do you have or can you find matching tile? Do you want to
retile the whole thing? Do you have access from behind the plumbing
fixtures?

How handy are you? I would guess from your question that I would
suggest having it done. If you make an error you could end up with a leak
in the wall. That is not a good thing. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:
Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Tear out the wall on the opposite side.
You will not be able to work from the tile
side to do the pipe work required.

If it's not practical to get to the opposite side,
then plan on re-tiling that wall (at a minimum).

In any event, you'll have to replace a couple of tiles
where 2 of the controls were, unless a giant "goof" plate
to cover over it all suits you.

Jim

Saw Rich Trethewy {sp?} from TOH do just this upgrade and he did use a
giant "goof" plate that did not look bad at all. I would search around
for this plate or just go to a real plumbing store and have the guy get
you one off the shelf in the back room. Much easier than trying to
replace a few tiles and have it look nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

if yuou are talking about having to buy all the tools to do it, then
call a pro.
if you have most of the stuff to start with then hopefully you can get
at the back side through a closet or some such inconspicous area.

Empressess #124457

The best Games

Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:
I have 3 taps almost 3' above the tub.. Hot, cold and diverter . Of
course they are installed behind nice square tiles. I would like to
replace those 3 with a solitary round unit which is pretty common place
these days. I am not a plumber, but does anyone know if its a DIY job?
For one, I would be really careful in removing the least amount of
tiles where they are located.

Opposite wall out of the question, its an attached house. I have tools,
but I do not know if I have "ALL" of them..how do I find out about all
the tools? Also, my tiles are the square white common tiles and all I
think I need to remove are the 6 around those faucets. Does anyone know
of a web site where they actually show how to perform this? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthona wrote:

SNIP

Opposite wall out of the question, its an attached house. I have tools,
but I do not know if I have "ALL" of them..how do I find out about all
the tools? Also, my tiles are the square white common tiles and all I
think I need to remove are the 6 around those faucets. Does anyone know
of a web site where they actually show how to perform this? Thanks

Problem is, you have no way of knowing what piping is behind that
tiled wall. How you make connections depends entirely on this.
But I can pretty much assure you that many more tiles than you
imagine will have to be removed. Add to that the fact that
tiled walls often are deteriorating, meaning that removing some
tiles will cause other surrounding ones to fail.

My off hand guess, from having been involved in many of these,
is that the final project will wind up being major, will be
expensive and, unless great care is atken, will look like s**t.

Jim