Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default Fixing Briggs and Stratton lawn tractor Update 2

Ether Jones wrote:
Rich256 wrote:

Your problem of getting suction but not exhaust sort of rules out an open valve.

Re-read his post. It's the other way around. He said there's a "puff"
but "little or no suction". Could be a broken valve spring.

A broken valve spring could make that valve open during the power
stroke when he is turning the engine, thus no suction. During the
compression stroke, the pressure pushes the valve closed and he feels
the compression. Just a working hypothesis. On this engine, the
valves are oriented in the horizontal direction and are driven directly
from the camshaft.

Anyway, I have found it is normally a very easy task on a small engine.

With the right tools maybe.

Yeah, I got it turned around but I don't think that makes a difference
to what I was saying. That is that a stuck open valve would not
produce what he saw. But pulling the head would confirm if it is a
valve problem.

And yeah, pulling the head is usually easy, as long as you don't have to
remove a bunch of other stuff to get at it. And he thought it would be
easy. All I ever used is a socket wrench or even an open end wrench.
Come to think of it that is all I ever used to pull the head on a car
engine but there usually was a lot of stuff to remove before I could get
to them.