Posted to rec.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default Trigonometry vs. woodworking - How far is too far?

It's interesting to see someone taking something that I try to avoid
where possible - basing my cuts on measurements and calculations, heavy
reliance on perfectly dimensioned stock - and going over the top with
it. The guy wants to make some simple stacking sawhorses:

http://pervivere.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-stuff.html

Of course, he did get just the product he wanted, and obviously this is
fun for him.

He's too in love with his math to see it was a waste of time even when
someone pointed it out to him, and doesn't seem to quite grasp what
parallel means.

Most of hobby woodworking is a waste of time, depending on your definition
of waste. For some of us the math IS as much fun as the woodworking,
especially when both are done together and done right. (Done wrong and it
can be a nightmare!)

I did the same thing when I built my shed, since I didn't have clue one how
to build a roof. It was blazing hot outside so I spent the time before
breakfast indoors, deriving all the angles and measurements I'd need for the
day. Then I went outside and made the cuts and assembled them. My father,
who was there to help, told me my brother-in-law carpenter school graduate
was taught to make a template by trial and error. I wasted time, not wood,
and my birdsmouths were in the correct spot and correct angle, and I kept my
trigonometry fresh for the next project. I wasn't trying to impress anyone,
just get the job done. I learned later that my father was really impressed
and that meant more to me than anything.

- Owen -