Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Fischer Tim Fischer is offline

Default Tile over "tacky" concrete?

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Tim Fischer wrote:
So my question -- will my thinset stick to this, or should I attempt
some sort of chemical strip? We used some household cleaner (409)
and a wire brush, then mopped with a strong floor-cleaner solution,
and that helped a little, but it's still quite tacky when you feel it
or walk on it.

Why do you care whether the thinset will stick? Am I missing something?

Uhm, because if it doesn't stick (to the concrete) my tile will pop off?
grin

Maybe you thought I meant I didn't want it to stick to the residue.

Anyway, I tried using thinner and a wire brush, then mopping with floor
cleaner and water, and it seems to have gotten much better (not perfect, but
much, much better. I then saw the other reply that said not to use
solvents-- oops...

Well, we'll hope it all works out. I'll hopefuly be tiling tomorrow...

Thanks all,
-Tim