jim rozen

Default Generators and Back-up power

In article , Bob Engelhardt says...

Consider that this is what you clip'ped from _my_ post:
"The exception, of course, is if the power outage is in your drop.
I.e.,
isolated from your neighbors."

Almost but not quite. If I *had* removed that from your post,
that would have been quite a boo-boo. However, this is the post
I was replying to:

(begin quote)

rec.crafts.metalworking
open thread view previous | next message

Title: Generators and Back-up power
Author: "Leo Lichtman"
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:30:55 GMT

Bob wrote:
BUT, it seems to me that as a _load_ the power-less mains coming into your
house look like a dead short! I.e., the combined loads of all your
neighbors as well as the load back through your local pole pig. In which
case your generator breaker would blow in about a millisecond. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have always thought that too. If your genset breaker did not pop, the
motor would stall. Trying to feed voltage into a "dead short" cannot
succeed even for a millisecond. The current would try to go up, but would
exceed the breaker limit while the voltage across the line was still only a
volt or so (maybe).

(end quote)

I was replying to Leo's post, which was missing the exception
that you so rightly emphasized. I suspect that his reply hit
my server before your post did. Or, I am guilty of the minor
sin of not reading *every* post on a thread before replying.

Jim

please reply to: