Posted to rec.woodworking
jo4hn jo4hn is offline

Default Old jointer knives update

stryped wrote:
Went to Sears awhile ago. Their blades for a jointer look identical to
the blades that came off my vintage craftsman jointer with one
exception, the ones at sears are 1/16 of an inch shorter. In my old
manual for this jointer, it says to let the blade overhang the
cutterhead 1/16 of an inch on each side. I could nto do that with
these. I am thinking it still might work. They are 24.99. What do you
think?

Beware of Sears jointer knives. DAGS on Jo4hn and jointer. I wrote a
series of posts a year or two ago. I bought some Sears knives that were
..008" thicker at one end which is more than enough to send them flying.
If you need that kind of excitement, OK, but I would measure first.

You can get quality knives in that size from Freud and others (DAGS
jointer knives) and they might even have the proper overhang. Even
cutting the size of the knives will make Sears extra money.
twitch,
jo4hn